This program provides funding for planning, acquisition, development, rehabilitation and repair of greenways, recreational trails, open space, parks and beautification projects.
Funds may be used by the applicant to pay for any of the following project costs:
- Development, Rehabilitation and Improvement of public parks, indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, trails, greenways, and watershed implementation projects to include:
- Construction activities. Construction contingencies are limited to 5% of actual construction costs;
- Fixed equipment;
- The clearing and preparation of land;
- Environmental site assessment;
- Related engineering, design, and inspection costs not to exceed 10% of grant award;
- Professional services including services, such as land surveying, preparation of bid documents, construction inspection, archaeological surveys, land surveys, PNDI surveys, appraisals etc;
- Settlement cost, acquisition projects only; and
- Administrative costs of the applicant necessary to administer the grant. Administrative costs will include advertising, legal, and audit costs as well as documented staff expenses. Administrative costs shall not exceed 2% of the grant;
- Planning Projects that lay the groundwork” for future land acquisition, development and/or management of parks, recreational facilities, critical habitat, open space, natural areas, greenways, motorized and non-motorized trails and river/watershed corridors. Planning projects also include the development of business plans for expansion or establishment of outdoor recreation businesses; and
- Acquisition of land, easements, or rights of way for park and recreation areas, natural areas, greenways, trails, river/watershed conservation, critical habitat conservation and/or open space.
Ineligible costs include but are not limited to public relations, outreach, communications, lobbying, litigation, fees for securing other financing, interest on borrowed funds, application preparation fees and other costs incurred prior to the approval of grant funds.
Eligible projects under the Greenways, Trails, and Recreation Program (GTRP) include:
- Public Park and Recreation Areas - These projects involve the rehabilitation and development of public indoor and/or outdoor park, recreation and conservation areas and facilities. Parks and recreation areas are areas of land and/or water, for use as a neighborhood, community or regional public park and recreation site.
- Greenways and Trails - These projects involve the renovation and development of linear public facilities, such as bicycle, walking, equestrian, snowmobile, and nature trails; passive recreation areas; riparian forest buffers; wetland boardwalks; observation decks.
- Rivers Conservation - These projects enhance rivers, streams, and watersheds for recreational purposes.