Click on a grant title to see more details on the program and link to the official guidance.
2020 HAVA Election Security Funds (New Jersey)
A - Primarily intended to fund technology
New Jersey Department of State
The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2019 provides payments to states for activities to improve the administration of elections for Federal office, including to enhance election technology and make election security improvements.
Consistent with the requirements of HAVA, states may use this funding to
- Replace voting equipment that only records a voter's intent electronically with equipment that utilizes a voter verified paper record;
- Implement a post-election audit system that provides a high level of confidence in the accuracy of the final vote tally;
- Upgrade election related computer systems to address cyber vulnerabilities identified through Department of Homeland Security, or similar scans or assessments of, existing election systems;
- Facilitate cybersecurity training for the state chief election official's office and local election officials;
- Implement established cybersecurity best practices for election systems; and
- Fund other activities that will improve the security of elections for Federal office.
History of Funding
None is available.
Since the specific costs to conduct elections under the current circumstances is still unknown it has been determined that the most prudent course of action at this time is to dedicate the 2020 HAVA grant funds to potential COVID-19 related costs for the 2020 Primary and General Elections. New Jersey will use all of its 2020 CARES Act grant funding first. The 2020 HAVA grant funds will be used to cover additional COVID-19 related costs once the CARES Act grant funds have been depleted.
The 2020 HAVA grant funds will be used for but not limited to the following.
- Additional Vote by Mail Printing
- Additional Vote by Mail Postage
- Additional Scanning Equipment
- Additional Staffing
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Polling Place Setup and Instructional Signage
- Voter Education
The New Jersey Department of State is the only entity eligible to apply to the US Election Security Commission for HAVA funds. Funds are then awarded to state agencies in New Jersey. States may re-grant/distribute funds to local election districts/offices at their discretion.
For information regarding local deadlines, contact the Division of Elections at 609-292-3760 or Feedback@sos.nj.gov.
The FY20 allocation to the State of New Jersey is $10,983,224. Funds are allocated based on the voting age population formula. States are required to match 20 percent of funds awarded within two years of receiving federal support.
Recent FUNDED Articles
New Funding Opportunities for K-12 School Safety - Sponsored by NetApp
Funding to Address High Crime Areas within Your Community - Sponsored by NetApp
Funding to Enhance Response, Investigation, and Prosecution of Domestic Violence - Sponsored by Panasonic
You have not selected any grants to Add
Please select at least one grant to continue.
The selected grant has been added to your
One of the benefits of purchasing an UPstream® subscription
generating professional research reports in Microsoft® Word or Adobe® PDF
Generating research reports allows you to capture all the grant data as
well as a nice set of instructions on how to read these reports
Watchlists and Grant Progress
With an UPstream®
you can add grants to your
own personal Watchlist. By adding grants to your watchlist, you will
receive emails about updates to your grants, be able to track your
grant's progress from watching to awards, and can easily manage any
step in the process through simplified workflows.
Email this Grant
With an UPstream®
, you can email grant details, a research report,
and relevant links to yourself or others so that you never lose your
details again. Emailing grants is a great way to keep a copy of the
current details so that when you are ready to start seeking funding
you already know where to go
Grants Office updates its database of funding opportunities daily, so expect this list of recently added/updated grant opportunities to change constantly.